Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thinking outside the box


I've been seeing Maia at Massage Boulder for weekly body work lately and she's noticed several muscular imbalances. I've been battling a really tight right quad for some random reason and the root cause may be from other muscles not actually functioning - i.e. my butt :) I do a bit of strength work but apparently not the right stuff to get my glutes firing properly. Maia also teaches Foundation classes and suggested I give it a go since I was someone who could really benefit from it.

Foundation training is a series of exercises based on integrating the muscular chains of the body. The exercises begin with the Posterior Chain of Muscles to quickly stabilize your spine and core because our modern lifestyles leave most of these muscles weak and imbalanced. I gathered a few others and we jumped into Maia's Tues evening class. Although it's only 45min with nothing other than a mat, it was extremely challenging. It took a bit to find the correct postures but eventually I was able to trigger and activate all the muscles that hadn't been working. I plan on continuing this class weekly and have confidence it will be a great asset to my overall fitness this year! Click on the logo above to learn more on Foundation Training and to see if there are classes offered in your area :)

No comments: