Wednesday, October 31, 2012

In Memory of Don Torrance


I can't remember the last time I went over 2 weeks without updating my blog and I apologize for the lack of content. However, the past few weeks have been very tough. On Sunday, October 21st, one of the kindest, fun, caring and loving people I know was killed on his motorcycle. Don was the father of Tom and Tony Torrance and wife of the infamous Rose Torrance. This unexpected tragedy left every person that knew Don speechless. No words can describe how terrible and unfortunate this situation is. After taking the boys to the airport on Sunday afternoon, I immediately got a flight back to Michigan so I could be there for them and Rose during this hard time. Throughout the seven days I was there, we had lots of ups and downs. Don's service was extremely sad but beautifully orchestrated at the same time. Between the hundreds of hugs and silent moments, we did participate in some fun and interesting activities.


One of the first things we did was ride around in Uncle Bud's sweet 1969 Chevy Camero. Although Melanie and I were holding on for dear life, Tony reassured us that everything would be fine! The next day we ventured to the 'Poto' trail for a little mountain biking. I haven't been on a bike outside since July and wasn't exactly sure what I was in for. I knew we were in Michigan so it couldn't be THAT hard. The combination of using my mother's bike/helmet and being extremely out of shape and slow didn't make for the best of times, but I absolutely loved the trail. We are planning a spring trip back so we can all rip it up and have a big bonfire in Rose's backyard :)

 
''Registered Democrats, with guns" - Judy Freeman


The next activity we participated in was shooting guns at a gun range. Believe it or not, I've never shot any sort of gun (other than a BB gun) so I was pretty excited. Uncle Bud and Cousin Chris are very into shooting and competing so they had a whole lineup for us to play with.


We shot everything from assault rifles to hand guns to pistols to you name it. I did manage to knock down all the targets but it wasn't easy!


I had to post this photo because it's just plain funny and reminds me of Charlie's Angels. Leaving the boys and Rose on Monday afternoon was not easy but I know they are all strong individuals and will be able to get through this hard time. My thoughts and prayers go out to each of them along with all of their amazing family who welcomed us Coloradans with open arms. We couldn't have felt more at home.

No comments: