Sunday, May 11, 2008

New toys and wheel building 101

This is what arrived at my front door on Thursday evening :)

It's the first powertap created with a disc brake for mountain bikes...ohhhh, sooo exciting! Check it out here.

After running around all day trying to find a nice and light mountain rim that had enough spoke holes in it and the correct size spokes to build it, I was about to construct my very first wheel...with a little help of course! Because Bontrager (my wheel sponsor) doesn't make a rim with 32 holes, I bought a DT Swiss 4.2d with Revolution spokes. It's a pretty kick ass setup! I'm definitely going to give out props to all those who build wheels because it's not a fast or easy task getting that thing perfectly built and true.

Yeah, it took me a while and I looked very confused at times!

This is the final product!


The other task on hand involving wheels was to convert them to tubeless. Learning how all that jazz works was pretty interesting too. We ended up just using the standard Bontrager rim strips with Stan's sealant and voila! Well kind of...the rear wheel needed a few extra hands to be stretched over the rim and in the process, we busted a tire lever and Shep got sealant all over his pants which was pretty hilarious.

2 comments:

MarkyV said...

me wanna see a file!!!! :)

WC Athlete said...

how long did you take to build that wheel? :D

just curious