Sunday, June 11, 2006

Being Injured

If you're an athlete of any sport, you've probably been through it, and if not, then it's mostly likely to occur as long as you're still training and stressing your body. There is no doubt that being unable to train and participate in something you are unconditionally passionate about can be more mentally draining and frustrating than performing sub-par at an important race...you know what I'm talking about.

So here I am. Strained hip flexor from a routine long Sunday run a week before the first half ironman of the season. To race or not to race. Well race...duh! I've only been busting my butt for how many weeks?!?! And plus, I'm tough and can suck it up for a little over 5 hours, right?! Okay...BAD IDEA. Placed well in the race (which was not even an "A" race) but put myself in big detriment physically.

After week 3 of no running and a super important race less than a week away, I'm not only in an emotional tizzy, but I'm starting to look at the sport of triathlon and the lifestyle which accompanies it in a totally different dimension. Shit happens...and for the most part, it always seems to happen at the exact wrong time (i.e. I'm finally done with school and have time to train/rest/recover, so why now?) However, I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and giving my body a break may be exactly what it needs.

As I deal with the frustrations and irritations surrounding this issue, I can only take it as a learning experience and attempt to understand the reasonings behind it. These experiences are responsible for creating the unique and individual characters each of us are. It may be a rough and bumpy road to get through, but in the end, it's worth every moment!

WORK LIKE YOU DON'T NEED MONEY, LOVE LIKE YOU'VE NEVER BEEN HURT, DANCE LIKE NO ONE'S WATCHING!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»