Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Recovery time

 

Last Friday I checked into Avista Hospital where Dr. James Reid surgically repaired the torn UCL in my thumb.  The operation went well, and it sounds like Dr. Reid repairs quite a few of these 'Skier's Thumbs' in Colorado.  


Although the surgery went well and lasted less than an hour, I suffered through the anesthesia recovery a little bit more than anticipated.  Bryce sat in the recovery room with me for about four hours after I woke up, and even when we left I still felt completely out of it.  Due to my fear of nausea, I haven't exactly followed the suggested pain medication routine, and have endured way more pain throughout the past few days than I should have.


I'll be sporting this soft cast until next Wednesday when I have my first post-op visit.  The plan is to remove my stitches and put me in a waterproof cast that can be molded to the shape of my handlebars!  Assuming the state of my concussion allows, I should be able to get back on the bike for some light exercise sometime after that. 


I can't thank everybody enough for the outpouring of love and well wishes through another set-back.  As you can imagine, this is not easy for me to deal with and I would love nothing more than to have a full year without any issues. 

No comments: