Monday, March 01, 2010

The start of a 3 week cleanse!

Let's just say I'm going on the Paleo Diet! No sugar, no gluten, no dairy, no processed foods...lots of lean meats, seafood, veggies, fruits and nuts :) The main reason behind doing this is because I truly feel my energy levels spike and diminish like crazy throughout the day. Without added sugar or caffeine, I'm really hoping to be more consistent with my training and moods on a daily basis.

I have done a lot of prep getting vegetables cut, meat baked and recipes lined up and lots of grocery shopping. My first attempt at cooking was making these delicious Carrot Banana Muffins above. I have such a sweet tooth and thought that without cookies and baked goods I'd be dying but these definitely do the trick. Check out the recipe below and let me know what you think!

2 cups blanched almond flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup dates, pitted
3 ripe bananas
3 eggs
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
1 ½ cups carrots, shredded
¾ cup walnuts, finely chopped
  1. In a small bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon
  2. In a food processor, combine dates, bananas, eggs, vinegar and oil
  3. Transfer mixture to a large bowl
  4. Blend dry mixture into wet until thoroughly combined
  5. Fold in carrots and walnuts
  6. Spoon mixture into paper lined muffin tins
  7. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes

Makes 18 muffins

1 comment:

MarkyV said...

for starters... you shouldn't try to "recreate" the old way foods. rather invest in figuring out what works in the new way.

I don't eat flour or sugar and never feel the need to. I eat CRAP LOADS of nut butters.