Friday, November 06, 2009

Surgery #2

I went under the knife again this morning at 10am with Dr. Paul at the Boulder Surgery Center. The plan was an ITB release as well as a release of the small septum near by. The other part of the procedure was the smooth out the bone where the IT Band attaches called the Gerdy's Tubercle since it was a little misshaped causing the band to pull in a funky direction.

I wasn't nervous at all going into the surgery as it honestly feels like yesterday when I had the first one even though it was back in April. I was more anxious and excited than anything because I really think this is going to be trick in getting me back running. Everything during the procedure itself went as planned and was perfectly executed. The only concern was that the bursa he originally drained 6 months ago was more inflamed than any other bursa he had ever seen during surgery. Of course he drained it once more and cleaned it all up again and think it's definitely a byproduct of all the irritation so I should be all set to go.

Although I'm feeling much better right now than before, I'm definitely felling the aftermath of this surgery versus the first. Right away after I woke up I was in lots of pain so the nurse gave me some Morphine which made me super nauseous. Just what a girl who is terrified of throwing up needs, right? The pain subsided immediately but before I left, the nurse was adamant about me taking a Percocet so that the pain didn't return. As expected, that thing didn't sit well either, especially after eating only a half a cracker and a sip of ginger ale over the past 17hrs. Luckily I have one amazing boyfriend who has been taking great care of me and my ridiculous headaches and nausea spells. I absolutely hate being taken care of but I guess it's okay because I did the same for him last weekend when he had his wisdom teeth extracted :)

On the mend I am!

1 comment:

jameson said...

heal up! can't wait to see you back out at the races next year.