Monday, July 27, 2009

A weekend of Tom Torrance and road racing!

The weekend started out with attending the Rockies baseball game with the crew from one of my clients (Franklin Resource Group) Friday evening.

Not that either one of us understand or enjoy the sport of baseball, it was lots of fun and I even got to wear my cool Rockies shirt :)

Yes, they did lose!!!

Saturday began with a great morning swim. I then headed down to Denver for the Federal Center circuit race at noon. Thought for sure I would be able to pull away from the group with 3min to go but got caught about 150 meters from the line and finished 5th...oops. I had lots of fun though :) Later that afternoon, I met up with Tom, again, for another road ride. He was on verge of bonking so we stopped at a gas station where he came out with a six pack of powdered sugar donettes and a coke. He then proceeded to get more sugar on him than in his mouth...absolutely hilarious. However, it cured the bonk and we had a very pleasant ride...minus the insane 2o minute downpour :)

Sunday's wake up call was at 4:30am so I could be in Denver by 7am and ready to race another road crit. After working well with another girl, we formed a break of 5 from the main pack. I took 3 of the 4 primes and finished 3rd in the sprint. Had another great time and even made a little money :) Afterward, I drove straight to the pool to hammer out a 75min masters. I'm not going to lie, but I honestly wanted to eat someone's hand off after that swim. Since I had nothing to eat at home, I figured going to the grocery store was a good idea. I defintely bought way more than I should as my stomach was dictating what to buy!!! Let's just say lunch was mmmm good.

Even though we had planned on riding again together, I really didn't want to join Tom in the high country after my swim because it looked like a massive storm was coming and the last thing I wanted was to get soaked far away from home. However, as he was coming back down the Canyon, I just so happened to run into him as I was going up so of course I made him rally and finish the last 2 hours with me! When we started riding, he said that he was just thinking that he might run into me and I would try to convince him to go ride Betasso again...funny how things work :)

After a delicious dinner and some great chatting on the porch with Jon, Jen and Pamela, we decided to head to Glacier for some dessert where I ate an entire pint of peanut butter fudge gelato in one sitting. Let's just say I had the WORST stomach ache for about 5 hours afterward and falling asleep was not so fun...such a dumbass, but so worth it :)

No comments: