Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Race Update and Maui Happenings

I'M A WORLD CHAMPION!!!

As always, a more detailed report will come later, but here's the short version. It was an absolutely beautiful day but pretty hot with little cloud cover. I got pretty beat up in the swim, but found some good feet and had a great time. Hopped on the bike and was leading the amateur race until about 90min into the bike when my back started to seize up a bit forcing me to get off and stretch it out. Apparently I didn't have the core strength on the really steep climbs and my saddle had shifted pointing the nose straight up...I didn't realize this until after the race, but whatever. At any rate, I had lost all power in my legs and started getting passed by all sorts of girls. I got a little frustrated but finished the bike and headed out for the run. Not the best of runs but it got me back into the top 3 overall females. I finished first in my age group and missed the overall amateur title by 2 minutes...grrrr :) However, I am super excited about my world title (and not crashing like Branden - see below) and for everyone else who had a great day. Also it was so great to have Tom out there supporting all of us and giving my family updates the entire time. Thanks buddy, you're the BEST!!!

As for the other fun stuff going on, Tom went out on an epic ride on Saturday by himself that had me worried out of my mind when still wasn't back after 5+hrs of riding, but the pics he came back with were pretty cool. He's still working on the whole tan thing, but it's getting better :)

We had a pretty crazy time at the awards ceremony and the Halloween party after the race. Chris was 5th pro female which was amazing and fun to see and well, there was just lots of ridiculousness with costumes and water bottles filled with vodka and lemonade later that night!



Monday was pretty low key with a nice trip to the beach for some surfing, relaxing and skin burning. Blake and Ryan were catching some good waves while Tom was attempting to even his tan.


I have been updating all the pics daily so check em out!

2 comments:

rr said...

Congrats World Champion! Awesome race - well done. Sorry I couldn't hop on the puddle jumper to come cheer you on.. enjoy the rest of your Maui time!

Anonymous said...

Nice race little girl...
Now enjoy Maui!!! You have earned some vacation time!!

Love you,
Mom