Thursday, July 31, 2008

XTERRA Crested Butte Race Report

July 27th, 2008
1st AG, 14th Overall

It's never fun to elaborate on crappy races so I'll just make it short, sweet (or not so sweet), but to the point!

After arriving in the most beautiful place in Colorado on Thursday night, I was super excited to finally get that 'perfect' race together. However, after running and pre-riding the course on Friday, a totally different mindset kicked in. I was feeling beyond lethargic, had nothing in my legs and almost nauseas-like. Was it the altitude?!? I mean, we were at 10,000ft for goodness sake. Other than a short swim and picking up my packet, I spent the better part of the day in the hotel trying to rest up and let my body do it's thing. Even though I was being super optimistic about everything making a 180 before the race, it didn't happen. I felt just as bad race morning and definitely did not perform at any level of my ability. I was breathing out of my mind on the swim, delirious on the bike and crashing all over then walked the better part of the run because of an upset tummy :( BUT I FINISHED!!! Not a happy camper about the whole situation but I am learning that every race can't always go as planned and things that are out of your control happen. This is the first of 4 races in 4 weekends so I have plenty more opportunities to go out and prove myself that I AM a kickass athlete and that CB was just a fluke!

After the race, Will and I headed to Gunnison to hang out at Brian and Jenny Smith's place and do a little BBQ. Although probably not the greatest of ideas, we did an amazing and long epic ride the next day on the never-ending trails in CB and it was awesome! Check out the video below for more excitement :)


No comments: