Saturday, January 12, 2008

And I thought my shoulder was just sore!

Well not exactly...

After my lat muscle completely seized up on me during my run Thursday morning, I was pretty sure there was something going on. I decided to take the day off swimming and see if the pain went away, but after riding a few hours in strong cross winds on the bike, I'm pretty sure I irritated it even more. That evening, while watching the Pistons kick the Spurs' butts at Tom's, Jen was working on it and told me how much 'crap' there really was in my shoulder. When I got home, it just felt worse and after heating and icing, I still couldn't really sleep. When I got up yesterday morning, my shoulder was the size of a grapefruit and more painful then ever. That called for a trip to the best Physical Therapist in Boulder (Doug Hanna) at Physical Therapy of Boulder. I was fortunate enough to jump right in and after doing just a few checks on the neck, he was a sure of the problem immediately. I had less than 70% rotation in my C1 and C2 vertebrae in my neck...WHAT? I definitely don't sit at a computer all day, but I guess cyclist are prone this from looking up with their neck while riding all day.

Hmm....well all I knew was that whatever Doug was going to do to fix it wasn't going to be fun. After several manipulations of the spine and neck and some deep tissue massage, I was in a world of hurt...a good hurt. I proceeded to down more vitamin I (or IB Profen) for those of you who are unfamiliar with that term than I have all year. I sat in bed and iced and heated and ate pretty much all day and I surprisingly feel much better this morning!

I'm off to do the longer run with the Chicas at 8am and possibly ride with another group of girls at 10:30am :) I'll bring the bottle of vitamin I and see how it goes :)

No comments: