Monday, May 28, 2007

The Bolder Boulder has come and gone...

I think it's safe to say that not getting any sleep the night prior to a race because your throat is so scratchy you can't fall asleep is enough to justify not racing...well, I didn't do that, which I should have, and instead didn't have such a race!

This morning I went and attempted to race the 2nd largest 10K race in the world at altitude, on a tough, hilly course while not feeling 100%. Probably not a good idea, but then again, people question everything I do in life anyway! Since I had absolutely nothing to lose (except the $43 I had to spend to enter the damn thing) I went out there and just went with it.

The first mile was all down hill which was hard to hold back on, however, I did just so and let everyone in my wave come flying by me as I knew I could bring them all back on the hills. The legs felt pretty good but at 2K, my throat started killing me (even after drinking about a gallon of water last night and this morning). I had a terrible taste in my mouth, my tummy wasn't right and I knew it was going to be all downhill from there. I tried to breath through it and just let my legs do the work, but at about 6.5K I knew the race was over and it was not worth making myself sick for the rest of the day, or week for that matter. I have a much more important race 2 weeks from now and I would rather get in the appropriate training instead of trying to recover from a silly 10K.

On that note, I jogged to the finish with a smile on my face and ran 20min back home. I'm now sitting on my butt indulging in some delicious Justin's Almond butter and a banana and contemplating what to do with the rest of my day. Work, swim, bike...hmmm.

Happy Memorial Day :)

No comments: