Thursday, June 15, 2006

Snot Rockets

Definition - n. process in which snot is released and pelted from the body through one nostril with the use of a single finger to create the pressure buildup and a strong exhaling blow through the nose to trigger the release.

Application - this method is used when runny noses occur and paper products are unavailable; however, some people just think it's cool, and that's okay too.

Users - athletes on the go; including cyclists, runners, or anyone not having the ability to carry a box of tissues while training or racing.

Effectiveness - highly, when performed properly; just be aware of your surroundings and the people who may be behind or next to you...although snot is not the grossest thing in the world, it's definitely not the easiest to clean up.


WHY?!?!

Okay, there's obviously a story behind this ridiculousness, but for those who don't know what snot rockets are, it's only fair that they get a brief understanding before I attempt to discuss such a topic.

So after battling 104 degree temps and crazy 30mph winds yesterday, I was super excited to get out in 70 degree, sunny and calm weather...on the bike that is. I haven't been on the TT (time trial) bike in a while, so I thought I would take it for a nice 2 hour cruise. Wow, was that a great idea. As I'm riding along staring at the mountains and jammin' to some String Cheese Incident on the Ipod, I felt a sniffle coming on. Allergies have been pretty narly this spring/summer so I wasn't really surprised!

Perfect Opportunity - No one was around, and it was getting to the point where I couldn't go without sniffling for 5 seconds. One, two, three...BLOW....woooshhhh....oh s**t. Ewwww, ahhh, GROSS. Can you imagine what just happened without getting too disturbed? Flippin' wind. I got nailed with a huge crosswind gust that shot my snot rocket right back at me. Let's just say it wasn't pretty and REALLY annoying.

Even though I came back to Boulder covered in snot...just about nothing could have peeled the smile off my face. Days like today remind me of how fortunate I am to be here and I couldn't imagine it being any different.

I love Boulder...and snot rockets, even if they get all over me sometimes :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested