Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A few days in UTAH!


Since last year's cyclocross season was cut short due to the Chronic Fatigue relapse, I have been overly excited for the 2012/2013 season to start. When I found out about the mid summer race at Dealer Camp a few months ago, I thought it would be a perfect way to dust off the cobwebs and also a great reason to get my new bikes built up a little early :) After finding out my little brother was moving to the area just a few weeks prior, it was even more enticing to get out there.

 

Although I have been struggling with my health recently, more to come on that, I decided to just give the race a go. I put in so much time and effort getting my new Litespeed CX built and ready to race that I would have felt guilty not going through the motions. I truly just wanted to trip on a barrier and get it out of the way so that I didn't have to worry about it later in the season :) Fortunately that wasn't the case, however, I did get run into so hard during the first lap that I went catapulting off my bike resulting in bent bars, no rear shifting and some nice road rash. Feeling as crappy as I have been, it was probably a good thing I just cruised the rest of the race.


Other than the mechanical and uncomfortableness of dirty wounds, I was having a blast riding my new titanium cross bike with disc brakes. I am without a doubt incredibly rusty on my barrier and mounting skills but with the 'real' CX season several months away, I've got lots of time to practice. I can't thank my amazing teammate, Trista and her family enough for all the cheers and support. In the end, my little brother, Jerry, was truly the savior of the day - he drove me around to every convenience store I needed, listened to me whine about how sick I am of being sick and helped me prepare and make sure the whole race went as smooth as possible!


After the race, we headed back to his place where we chatted for a bit then hit the hay. We both slept in (if you call 7am sleeping in) and enjoyed a nice relaxing morning. Since Jerry's house is literally within feet of trail, we went for a sweet 2hr hike that had amazing views of the city at the top. I cannot believe how neat and convenient Salt Lake City really is minus the abundance of very bizarre Mormans. All in all, it was so great to check out little brother's new digs and see how happy he is. Now to take some time off the bike and figure out why I have don't have an appetite and keep losing weight unwillingly.

No comments: