Saturday, July 18, 2009

Start #4 of the 2009 season

After 7 months of running with shooting pain, a gazillion doctor visits, shots and surgeries, travel to 6 races with the sole intention of finishing and numerous meltdowns, I think I've finally pulled my head out of my ass! Coach Neal and I sat down early this week and decided that calling it quits for the season and getting my knee fixed for good is probably the best option at this point. I have several doctors to check out and until those visits, I plan on just riding and swimming a lot. I've also decided (pending cycling is okay for the knee) that I will just race road and mtn bikes for the rest of the season with a slim chance of going to Ogden just for the $$.

Although I was super bummed that I didn't participate at my home championship race this morning, I have to give a big congrats to my boy Branden for snagging his second podium spot after a killer race. Great job to everyone who raced today...it's not easy going hard at 10,000ft!

Along with doing lots of swimming and riding, I want to integrate a lot more fun events into my regime since I will be traveling much less. Even though our cookie making extravaganza happened to be for an open water swimming fundraiser, it was super fun getting a bunch of ladies together to gossip and bake more cookies than we had a clue what to do with. Yes, we did eat more than we really should have and they were GOOD :)

After an 11hr drive in the van from Boulder to Boise today, the Rio Grande cycling team raced a big crit at 8:30 this evening. This wasn't the original plan but apparently it didn't make that much of a difference as Allen took 2 primes and 11th overall in a tough field. Pretty dang good if ya ask me! I bet Doug Berner is super impressed too. Right Doug?!? TT1 doesn't need an exceptional sprinter/climber for next year do they?!? They'll be heading to Bend, OR for the next 2 weeks for the Cascade Classic and pro nationals.

After another 2 mile open water swim tomorrow morning with the crew, I will finally be heading up to Nederland for a fun day of epic mountain bike riding! Then, I take off with Will Kelsay to the Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City first thing on Monday. We will be running around on behalf of Timex. If you're at the show, come by our booth :)

1 comment:

MarkyV said...

Your cookies were good!!!

The offer for the swim help isn't just a gesture. I don't say something just to hear myself talk.

Let me know if you want some tiperoos.

Have "fun" in SLC. ;)