Saturday, June 20, 2009

Fun in the South

I know I already mentioned the ride in Tennessee with Dan, Mike and Craig, but I stole a few pics from Dan so you could take a peak :)

Above is a small pic of our clinic we did at Craig's shop...lots of fun!

After a hot run from Craig's place Wednesday morning, I headed back to his shop to have a swim analysis done in their endless pool with Dan Powell. I had never swam in one before and it was really neat. The underwater footage was even cooler. I now have lots of things to work on over the next few months to really get my swim in gear!

Later that afternoon, Will, Mike and I got back in the 'Silver Bullet' aka Will's minivan, and drove down to Little Rock, Arkansas. It was a pretty uneventful drive other than the temperature gauge reading over 100*. We knew it was going to be warm, but not that warm. When we finally arrived at the course around 7:3opm, it was still 97*. The combination of the heat, bugs, little light, stiff legs and no gloves didn't make for an enjoyable pre-ride, but it was good to check out the course. We eventually made our way to a grocery store then to our homestay. Since the temperature didn't get any cooler on Thursday or Friday, we did as little training in the heat as possible and lots of resting in the AC.

Today's race went better than anticipated and I actually finished without going to the med tent :) Let's just put it this way - it was well over 90* when we started at 10am and it just got hotter and hotter and hotter. Although the water temp was 88* (which is warmer than the water Allen shower's in), I still had one of my best swims EVER. I tried to go easier and my time got faster...hmmm, maybe I'll try that next time! The bike was fine other than my camelback not unthawing and I didn't have enough fluid. Then if Will hadn't stuck with me on the run/hike, I might not have made it back. Big thanks to him for doing that. He didn't have the best of days but waited to run the entire course and finish with me. Such a rockstar! 6th overall for the day and very tired. I have a 6:30am flight Sunday morning to Boulder and cannot wait to get home.

1 comment:

smilinggreenmom said...

Sounds like you have a fantastic friend/teammate in Will! Good teammates are awesome! I am a former competitive swimmer and have really been considering taking on some sort of athletics again! I have two small children and a dear husband and lack energy on a daily basis! I don't know if it is the non-existence of proper exercise, or my body really is tired. I rely on my natural pain cream from Topricin for sore and achy feet and body...love it! So- your blog inspires me, and I will be back...who knows maybe by some daily inspiration- I can get "back in the game!" Thanks, smilinggreenmom *twitter