Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Meet Shep...

...or Andrew P. Shepherd if you want to be super formal. Shep is one of the most amazing people in the world and one of my best friends. There isn't anything Shep wouldn't do for me (or most people for that matter) and there's no better feeling knowing you have a friend like that. We have both been very busy lately and there has been a lack of 'Erin and Shep Time' so we decided to change that. We took a nice spin the mountain bikes and got all caught up on life. During that ride, I realized that there is no way I would be doing what I am right now if it hadn't been for Shep and his insane amounts of patience.

You see, the first time I got on a mtb, I threw the biggest temper tantrum you could imagine and wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. As a matter of fact, I hated it. However, since Shep is so great at teaching, I started to come around and learn a thing or two. If it wasn't for his stupendous guidance and did I mention patience?!?!....I'd still be kicking my bike on the side of the trail saying "F*** this, I quit. This is the stupidest thing ever. I don't get how I can be so fit on the road and suck so bad at this. I want to go home". Yes, you're laughing, and it's funny...but it's for real.

I have matured so much over the last 2 years and have learned that you can't always be good at something right away and that perfecting MTB skills takes lots of time, years in fact. I am only a few years in and have come to grips that I am nowhere near my peak and that the future is my friend. I can say that after I clear a super technical section or ride something super smoothly, there is no one I would rather hear 'Hell yeah Erin, you're riding so well, I'm so impressed', from than my best bud Shep. It makes me feel so proud because he's the master behind it all and deserves every ounce of credit :) Shep, you're the BEST!

1 comment:

Shep said...

Awww shucks, I'm blushing.
Thanks Erin!