Friday, February 06, 2009

Getting ready for the Mt. Taylor Quadrathlon

Today was Neal's crazy Mt. Taylor prep session which included riding around Nederland (8500ft) for 90min or so, running from Nederland to the Eldora Ski Resort (1725ft of climbing over 4.6mi), skinning up to the Tennessee Hut (2+miles up up up), snowshoeing at the hut, then skiing back down.

It was a very interesting day. A bit chilly and quite breezy on the ride, but Allen came with me so it wasn't too bad. The run was not only steeper than anything I've run in a while, but straight into a huge headwind. Although it was only 4.6 miles, the 1700ft climb into that wind just wiped me out. Once at the top, I threw the skis on and started skinning up to the TN hut at the Eldora Nordic Center. I somehow went off the trail and needless to say, got incredibly lost. I stopped after an hour of skinning and got on the snowshoes that I had been hauling around the entire time. After about 10min of that, I came back to my skis and was looking forward to getting back to the base. Unfortunately, that didn't happen as quickly as planned. I got lost again and ended up making a 15-20min ski down an hour skin all over the damn mountain. It was a good overall day and it definitely got my mind into race mode. I'm sooooo ready for next weekend and can't wait to get my race hurt on!!! WHOOOOAAAAA

1 comment:

Amber and Eric Rydholm said...

At least you don't have to worry about getting lost next weekend. Just keep going up.