Friday, January 16, 2009

No running for 2 weeks :(

Maybe this will make me learn to listen to my body when it's not feeling right...

I've had an 'irritation' in my left knee for some time now (probably a month and a half) and sort of just avoided it as it didn't really hurt all that bad, just sometimes. At any rate, I should have just gotten it checked out right away because now it's a much larger problem....

With severe pains and swelling under my knee cap, there is most likely a tear in the meniscus. Everything looks fine on the x-rays as far as bone and joint placement, but my doc is very concerned about the inner knee swelling...damn. So, no running for 2 weeks and if the pain is still there without the harsh impacts, MRI it is...ARRRRGGGGGG.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Injuries suck! I've had a few as well. I look at them as a way to let my body recover for awhile as opposed to thinking of it as lost training time. Give your body time to heal and it will serve you well. Good luck in 2009! Look forward to reading about more of your racing endeavors!

Jed in UT

triabolo said...

My first triathlon will take place on June 14th in my birthplace Hamburg (Germany),I'm really looking forward to it and I'm a little nervous ;-)
At the moment I also have some difficulties with my knees-pain after every 1-1,5 hour-run...I don't know yet what it is...
Really like your blog, very interesting for me as a rookie!
I linked your blog to mine.
All the best for your races and knees!
greetings from Germany

Osman said...

I had (have?) a torn meniscus in my right knee. Ruined last year's ski season and took about a year before I could run on it again. Even now, not 100%.

The Xray didn't show the tear but it was clear on the MRI. In the end, I opted against surgery. Email me if you want more details.