Wednesday, November 12, 2008

70.3 World Championships Race Report

November 8th, 2008
Clearwater, Florida
4th Age Group

With absolutely no preparation for this race, the only thing I could do on race day was go into it with a positive attitude and do the best I could ...with a smile of course. I did just that and couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome.

The Swim - Sub 30min...whoooaaaaa! I have been swimming like a fish in the pool recently and just haven't been able to translate it to open water, but after Maui and this race, I'm pretty sure it's finally starting to click. I know I am capable of producing an even faster time (as I already have in the pool), but this is a great starting point.


The Bike - Considering this was the first time I had been on this thing since July, I really couldn't have any expectations. I tried to convince Timex to let me race the mountain bike with slicks, but that just wasn't going to cut it! The TT bike is a 100% different setup than my mountain bike and uses completely different muscles. It was quite awkward at first, but I finally started getting the hang of it about 10 miles in and feeling really fast and strong. Well that was until a pack of about 45 people came zipping by me going 30mph with about half my competition sitting in. Hmmmm...yeah, thought about jumping in, but honestly, that's not my style and I'd rather not play that game. After getting settled back into my position and watching the group in front disappear like I was standing still, another giant pack came buzzing by me almost running me off the road. Seriously, they came right through and split on my right and left then pretty much just cut me off when they got in front of me. Yes, another group of girls were nicely tucked in there too. I'm really not bitter, just annoyed...I promise. My bike split was a good 10-15min off all the girls who were in front of me, but I'm totally cool with that.

The Run - 13.1 miles off the bike? Are you serious? I can't even tell you the last time I ran 90min, much less off the bike! Anyway, I surprisingly felt amazing and was able to click off the miles effortlessly and almost felt like I was floating. At about mile 10 I was ready for it to be over as I was getting really hungry so I just went faster and actually negative split the last 5K and was able to easily sprint to the finish with the same smile that I started the race with :) I threw in the pic above because it shows my girl Jax killing it out there and the guy (in black) who I ran with the entire time.

The Finish - Again, smiles all around. I was so excited to be done with the race and start partying. This was finally the end of an amazing season of racing, learning and kicking butt and even though I didn't have the race I was capable of in Clearwater, I am learning that not every race can be that perfect race. I'm really glad I decided to stick it out and go out there, not only to see all of my amazing teammates, but to be there for JZ (the big sis I never had) to win the entire event!

2 comments:

DOUG BERNER said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You Rock!

Andrew said...

Erin, seriously... only 4th? I mean its not like riding your TT bike on a pancake flat course and then running a half marathon is that much different than mountain biking and trail running...