Wednesday, June 06, 2007

What a Day!!!

Where do I start?

Well yesterday was an interesting day...after not sleeping at all from coughing all evening, I woke up feeling like absolute crap. Got in my car to drive to work and turned around to come home after getting 10 seconds down the road. Yeah, it was that bad. I got back in bed for another hour and then finally got up to figure out the madness of all the travel logistics for the shuttles to and from Baja. By that time, I should have already been done with the law firm and half way through my track workout. Obviously this was not happening. As I was sitting on the couch chatting with Merci and emailing the race director, a huge package of goodies came from Ben for helping him ship some boxes and everything started getting a little better from there, but still super hectic .Went to the track with the roommate, got some stuff done at work, got in a mini swim, went back to both jobs, got on the trainer, packed the bike, got a massage and went to bed around midnight to get up at 3:3oam! Lucky for me, Merci reminded me to grab my passport last minute...holy crap, could you imagine my ass trying to get back from Mexico without a passport?!? Thanks Girl.

Alright, so today...woke up at 3:30am. Catch the 4:30am bus from Boulder to the airport. Get on my 7am flight to San Diego which arrives at 8:25am (yes, we acquire an extra hour). Head to the 'Commuter Terminal' which is where the bus from Baja is supposed to pick us up at 1:30pm. I know, lots of time, but I had a lot of work to do so I figured it wouldn't be that bad. Well, apparently, that is the terminal with NOTHING in it...there aren't even jet ways, Internet or even a small snack shop...it was going to be a long day. Luckily I brought a whole bunch of food with me and I was able to have a guy watch my things while I went out for a run along the ocean which was quite nice. After getting back, it was almost 1:30 and time to catch my ride down to Mexico. Well at least that is what I thought and what the email I received last night told me! I waited outside until 2:30 and finally had Ben call to see what was up. Apparently there was some miscommunication and the bus wasn't coming until tomorrow at 1:30pm. BRILLIANT!!!! Stranded at the San Diego Airport!!! I can't even rent a flippin' car because I'm not 25...what a mess. Hero of the day (Joanna's mom) came to pick me up around 5pm (8.5hrs later) so I could stay the night over there and catch the bus in the morning with everyone else arriving from Boulder. Best part is that my bike box doesn't fit in her car!!! Of course it doesn't, so I went running around the mini terminal I had been at all day looking for some rope so I could bring my bike back with me. I found some and I am currently sitting at the Zeiger household about to enjoy a nice homemade meal!!! Let me say this again...what a day!!!

2 comments:

Blake Becker said...

Good luck this weekend Erin!!! Kick some ass...being sick will just mean that you are rested. :)

Blake

Anonymous said...

yes, that was quite a day!
-Ben