Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Protein and Wild Animals

Just another AMAZING morning in the most beautiful and near perfect place in the world (Boulder, CO).

I decided to get in an early morning climb since it is supposed to get pretty hot this afternoon with a chance of thunderstorms. I left my house a little before 7am with the intent to ride up to Jamestown through Left Hand Canyon. As I was riding I had nearly the entire road to myself...that NEVER happens here!

Anyway, I'm just about to 2 miles up the climb when I see what appears to be a dog in the middle of the road. Boy was I wrong. This dog looking animal was actually a fox who was staring me right in the eyes as I got closer. Once I realized what it really was, I started getting a little nervous and slowed way down. I figured it would get frightened by me and run into the woods, but apparently not. It started moving closer and closer to me. If my heart rate was at a rate 5 beats higher, it might have beat right out of my body...no joke. I was scared out of my mind. My first thought was to turn around and go back down as fast as I could but instead I chose jump on the pedals on continue to go up as fast as I could. The fox trotted after me for a mere 2o seconds (which felt like FOREVER) and finally disapeared into the woods....oh my God...I don't think I've ever gotten up to the top of that climb that fast before!

Okay, now that I was completely wiped from running from the fox, the decent was sounding pretty damn good. I got into my drops and began bombing down the mountain...weeeeee. Apparently it was the day for bugs because by the time I got to the bottom of the canyon, I must have consumed at least 10 and had another 15 splattered on my face. Bugs and insects are a good form of protein, right? Does this mean I can include them in my food journal?!?!

What a morning! Regardless of the weather, the day, the time, the place, or the circumstance, each ride is an experience in itself.

I LOVE IT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»